March 4, 2013

Mirror Mirror on the Dresser


This mirror has seen quite a few layers of paint in its day.  Although the mirror itself is quite large and has a nice beveled edge, the shape of the frame is oh so plain.  After initially choosing to prime it and change the color, I decided to sand it down completely and start fresh.   But once I got started I had a change of heart. 




I loved the pattern of color that started to reveal itself when I began to sand away the layers.  I stopped, wiped all the dust off and brought it inside for a few days to see if I liked it. 



I do rather like it.  If I tire of it, I can always get the sander back out and finish what I started.  I don't love shiny gold but I do really like the dark tone of gold that it wore down to.




There were at least six layers that I noticed.  And that's not counting the pieces of tape I found between a couple layers.  White primer over silver spray paint over dark brown high gloss over and incredibly thick layer of matte grey paint? primer?  Under the grey is the very thinnest layer of gold leaf which had been layered over a deep red.  I'm not sure if the red is a paint or a stain because it does seem to have bled into the original wood frame turning the surface pink.



This little bunny has no name but he should.  He's been appearing around our house for the past 3 years in random places.  I thought he belonged in the kids' stuffed animal basket but he never seems to stay there.



                                                              This post was shared on


Thrifty Decor Chick


No comments:

Post a Comment