February 9, 2013

Earring Frames / Off Task Again

At this rate, it will be surprising if I ever get things sorted for our move.  Every time I set about to accomplish the task I get sidetracked into a project.  Last night it was an solution for containing the ever-growing dangling earring collection of my daughter. 




She wants her earring on display.  Which is already the case since they don't all fit in her jewelry box anymore.  With fewer pairs, she kept them lined up on a shelf but now they have been ending up in jumbled piles and she can never find the ones she's looking for.  I told her I would help find a better solution.  (The contact cases tied with ribbon are used as carrying cases for her smaller earrings on sleep-overs and while traveling.)





My objective last night was to sort through some old frames and pictures that are in boxes.  Before long I came across these two matching black frames and an idea was hatched.



My sorting came to an abrupt halt.  I removed the glass, left it with my still-needs-to-be-sorted boxes of frames and proceeded to my still-needs-to-be-sorted hoard of fabric pieces.  I found 2 pieces of fabric that I thought would work as backing.  The toddler-sized dress was a gift to my daughter years ago and she couldn't bear to part with it.  There was just enough fabric in nice condition on the back of the piece.  The gold beaded fabric was leftover from a Christmas stocking.




I cut the fabric to size and ironed out the wrinkles.  Then I removed the frame backs and wrapped each board with a separate material.  I used some spray adhesive on the back to secure the fabric.  To hang the earrings, I looked through our still-needs-to-be-sorted collection of nails and screws.  I didn't want to drill holes so I chose some small bright common nails.  The silver finish of the nails didn't work with the fabric, so I broke out the gold metallic oil-based Sharpie again.  Then I evenly spaced the nails, tapped them in and touched up any nail heads that looked scuffed.  You can barely see them.






The project went together without any problems.  I did add a few larger nails for bracelets.  The frames have easel backs so they can stand on her dresser or get hung on the wall.  





Luckily I left space for more nails because a gift arrived in the mail today with half a dozen more earring to add to her collection.  I'm off to Sharpie more nails.  One more thing to do so I can put off sorting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment