February 26, 2013

DIY Union Jack Jeans

This project was such fun!  I'm trying to keep the kids excited about moving again and leaving all their friends behind again while doing what I can to help them embrace the idea of England.  This project is my latest attempt.




I believe I first spotted these jeans by Religion on asos.  I immediately thought they would be a super fun project to make with my daughter.  She loved the idea.  Even if they hadn't been sold out, the length was far too long from my 11 year old.


Image 1 of Religion Skinny Jeans With Union Jack Print
asos.com


We hit the mall, searched the stores and tried on lots of white jeans.  She didn't want cropped or distressed or jeggings so we looked and looked and looked.  Her favorite fit ended up being a pair of inexpensive jeans from Target.  They were even on sale.  They are actually intended to be a bit cropped but we rolled them down and they are perfect.



I already had acrylic paint at home but had never intentionally painted clothes.  After a quick bit of internet research I learned that adding a fabric medium is needed to make fabric hold the color and make the paint more flexible.  So for $2.50 each, we picked up a couple of bottles and headed home.

After washing, drying, taping off, painting and drying we weren't quite done but were so excited we had to try them on! 


We left some places intentionally imperfect.





After waiting for the paint to completely dry, I heat set the paint with an iron, washed and dried them and off to school she went.




I have something in the works for the boy child as well.  Equally as cool but not quite as colorful.









No comments:

Post a Comment