January 14, 2013

Gluten-Free Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

We recently had friends come and stay for a week.  Their young boys, and by extension their whole family, were eating a gluten free diet.  Plus, their littlest has an allergy to eggs.  They were stepping into enemy territory.  It's not that we have a pantry full of packaged foods (except for dried pasta) but I'm pretty sure there is a fine sheen of gluten that blankets our kitchen from the baking that I do.  I did have some homemade gluten-free cookies to offer them - but they were meringue, so we struck out there too.  

While they were here, an attempt was made at some gluten-free, egg-free cookies. We failed terribly. "I know they look funny but they taste pretty yummy."

Our guests, already accustomed to eating gluten-free, ate them.
After one bite, my kids wouldn't go near them.
My husband saw the dough and wrote them off completely.

I was on a mission.  A mission to bake a gluten-free, egg-free, chocolate chip cookie worthy of being called a cookie.

Mission accomplished!  My kids were enthusiastic taste-testers and my husband declared that he would "totally nosh on these."  Personally, I think that they are almost good enough.  There are definitely some things that I would like to tweak but my daughter requested that I get this recipe to our friend as soon as possible so that her boys could have real cookies.

Some of the ingredients ingredients that I used were new to me.  You can check out what I learned and what I would change in this post:  Embarking On A Gluten-Free Cookie Mission





These cookies are GLUTEN FREE, EGG FREE, FAST, EASY, SIMPLE and most importantly YUMMY!


Gluten-Free Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses 
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 flax egg
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup white rice flour
2 tablespoons tapioca starch
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon xanthum gum
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup broken pecans pieces


Pre-heat the oven to 375º

Make flax egg.

Melt butter in microwave safe bowl.  
Add light brown sugar, molasses and vanilla. Stir.

In second bowl sift together flours, tapioca starch, xanthum gum, baking soda, and salt.

Add flax egg to butter mixture.  Stir.

Mix the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture.  Stir to combine.

Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.

Place rounded tablespoons of dough onto baking stones (or parchment like cookie sheets) about 3 inches apart.

Place in oven and bake for approximately 8 minutes.  You want them to look a bit undercooked:  cracked on the top but still a bit gooey in the centers.  If they overcook they will get unpleasantly hard instead of crunchy.  

Remove cookies from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before transferring to a rack.  This helps them set up so they don't fall apart when you try to pick them up.  Enjoy!  



  









  

No comments:

Post a Comment