March 1, 2013

DIY Union Jack Hoodie

I'm continuing my quest to prepare the kids for England.  Being a little more reserved than his big sister, I decided to make a more subdued version of the Union Jack for the boy child.  Something with a lot less color.  Since he is a big fan of hoodies, it seemed like the ideal vehicle.  Conveniently, he already had the perfect one for this project: a favorite (which means it will actually get worn), pre-washed, and black. 




I grabbed it out of his closet and told him the plan.  He was more excited that I was making him something than that we were going to paint on his favorite hoodie.  But he got more and more sold on the idea as we started taping.



Taping up this design made my brain hurt a bit.  I kept on having to consult a diagram to get my bearings. 


I always love involving the kids in projects.  Especially if it is something I am making for them.


I wanted the lines to look painted on and worn off.


We decided to add a bit of silver metallic paint to the grey acrylic.


He doesn't always wear the hood up, but I wanted to show the pattern on the back.


With the Union Jack Jeans, I wrapped the flag design around the front of the pants.  This time, the front of the hoodie was being left plain.  I didn't want the design to stop abruptly at the seams so I faded it at random lengths around the sides. 



Looks like I should have taken a lint roller to him after he decided to wrestle with the dog.



Subtle in a "there is a giant Union Jack painted on the back of your hoodie" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment